Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Blog #5- Why I chose Egypt for my Lesson Plan (Extra Credit)

There is relevance as to why I chose to create a lesson plan using Egypt. Egypt is a place where I have had personal experiences and past history. I have visited Egypt twice in my life. My ancestors on my father’s side of the family were from Egypt. I am the second generation to live in America, although my father was born in Egypt. My grandparents were eighteen when they came to America. During this time, the Czechoslovakian war broke out. Since my family is Jewish, we were being targeted. Since my Grandfather had a visa to the United States (for attending University of Pennsylvania) my grandparents were able to leave Egypt in hope for a safer life. My other family members who lived in Egypt were forced to separate from my grandparents. Egypt was my grandparent’s childhood. Living in Alexandria had its benefits, because they take pride in where they lived and they tell us stories about Egypt and what it means to them. When we visit, they show us all the important architecture and history, so I have learned a lot over the years, and that is why I want to share what I know to all of my students.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for sharing this. Knowing that your family comes from Egypt definitely sheds new light on your lesson plan. I think that, if your students know this when you are teaching them, they will be inclined to listen a little more closely as well!

    ReplyDelete