Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Blog #2

Chatting with Will Richardson was the first time I experienced any face-to-face interaction through the computer. My grandmother always uses Skype, but I never asked her what it was or anything in more detail. After skyping with Mr. Richardson, I immediately called my grandmother and she told me all of the great benefits and life changing experiences she has had because of the new tool. Skyping and other forms of online communication, is slowly changing the world. I don’t think I got much out of skyping with Will because we were on a very tight time frame. This made it impossible for all of my individual questions to get answered to its complete fullest. I hope that if he has more time at some point, I can ask him the questions that were unanswered. He seems to be a brilliant guy with a fresh sense of humor.

Blogging is something else I learned in last week’s class. I have never even heard the term “blogging” before last week. Blogging has so many benefits to it, and I think that there are no negative aspects to it. Well, the only thing I can think of is invasion of privacy, but then I realized, it is the own individuals fault because they know what they are expressing through their blogging is expressed for the purpose of sharing with others. The best part of blogging in my opinion is the reciprocation factor. We are able to blog about anything and show anyone. This is a great tool because you get to share you personal thoughts about any topic, and in return, you can get feedback and advice from others. It is like a two-sided journal. I write in a journal everyday and I always wished that there were side writing back at me. It’s wonderful to see how many experienced professionals have their very own journals that we can view and comment back on. A lot of them seem to be very involved with their passion and are willing to help and share their knowledge and experiences with anyone that is interested.

Any person in every location of the world can get involved with blogging. A great tool for learning how to set it up is using the website: http://classblogmeister.com/blog.php?blogger_id=117417

Best of all, blogging can be used for many purposes. It can be used for academic purposes as well as non-academic purposes. Since blogging is used internationally, cultures can integrate with other cultures and communicate their thoughts with a blink of an eye. If someone is planning on traveling, become an exchange student, or just want to learn about another place, they can search any location they want and with just one click can be connected to every kind of culture.

Blogging allows people to show their creativity and individuality. It allows people to express their opinions. Hopefully people watch what they say because it is really easy to offend people with their own opinions on certain subject.

I cannot wait to continue to explore the world of blogging and allow blogging to help my life outside of this class!

4 comments:

  1. I agree that video chatting is can be a great tool in education. Getting in contact with interesting people all over the world is a priceless commodity in a teacher arsenal of tools.

    PS: It's funny that your grandmother was the one telling you about skype. My grandma doesn't even know how to check her email haha.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE that your grandmother skypes! My grandmother had a computer set up in the living room so that she could play "the slots!"

    As a side note, thanks for sharing that you've never heard of "blogging" before this class. I was kind of feeling like I'd been living under a rock for the past decade. I'm glad I'm not the only one who was not familiar with all of this stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Our connection with Will Richardson was the first time I have used Skype. I have herad of the program before but never has seen anyone use it prior to our class lesson. Skype is awesome because it can bring anyone in the classroom at anytime. Can you imagine traveling for a few days on a conference but still being able to connect with your students via Skype.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think that skype-ing is extremely helpful. We were able to chat with someone in a matter of seconds. That is an incredible thing that can change the way we teach and learn.

    ReplyDelete